Many faith communities are discovering the joy when all ages join together on the spiritual journey.The mingling of innocence and maturity, playfulness and reverence creates a bold and bigger vision of the church as the body of Christ. Intergenerational events provide opportunities for building relationships with God, relationships with the church community, and a chance to open wide the arms of Christ to every person.
Church programs often separate people by age for education and fellowship activities. GenOn Ministries has created “All God’s Children: The Church Family Gathers” series to meet the need for generations to learn and grow together, bridging the gaps in our church experience. They are resources that allow all ages to eat together, play together, study God’s word together, pray, sing and worship together.
All God’s Children: The Church Family Gathers for Lent” includes five sessions which could be used as mid-week, Saturday afternoon, or Sunday whole church gatherings. You may choose to use this entire series of intergenerational lessons to celebrate the spiritual journey throughout the weeks of Lent or use one or more stand-alone lessons. The five themes are:
- First Week of Lent: SENT: The temptation of Jesus in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11)
- Second Week of Lent: SACRED: Jesus teaches Nicodemus (John 3:1-17)
- Third Week of Lent: SINFUL: Jesus talks with a Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:5-42)
- Fourth Week of Lent: SURPRISED: Jesus heals a man born blind (John 9:1-41)
- Fifth Week of Lent: STRUGGLING: The death of Lazarus (John 11:1-45)
“Dear God, Thank you for the variety of good foods you provide for us. As we are filled with this soup, also fill us with the strength to begin our Lenten journey. Amen.”
See a sample of the resource here.
Purchase the full five sessions here for $40 (price increase in effect February 1).