STORE Advent, Christmas, Epiphany
God's World in Community: Advent - Matthew's Story
At the time of Matthew’s writing, God’s people had waited a very long time for the promised Messiah. When questioned, Jesus revealed and confirmed he was the one they were waiting for but even he did not know the time he would be coming back. Matthew describes Jesus’ birth primarily from Joseph’s perspective. Joseph’s genealogy connects Jesus to the Davidic family line. The miraculous fire of the Holy Spirit allowing Mary to be pregnant, declarations by the angelic messengers, dreams, and the Old Testament prophets prepare us and bring us Emmanuel – God with us.
This flexible, simple resource for intergenerational gatherings uses scriptures from the gospels to focus on key words. The seven sessions, scriptures and key words are:
1. Advent 1 – Matthew 24:36-44 Time
2. Advent 2 – Matthew 3:1-12 Fire
3. Advent 3 – Matthew 11:2-11 Messenger
4. Advent 4 – Matthew 1:18-25 Emmanuel
5. Christmas Eve – Luke 2:1-14 Sign
6. Christmas 1 – Matthew 2:13-23 Prophet
7. Christmas 2 – John 1:10-18 Word
This flexible, simple resource for intergenerational gatherings is based on the Revised Common Lectionary readings for Year A. Each of the seven sessions features a scripture reading, "respond" activities, wonder together prompts for conversation, and a closing prayer and/or song.
For use in small or large groups in person, at church or at home, for all ages. Sample here.
Prices include permission for
- churches to distribute (print or e-mail) to all households in that church
- individuals for use in their home or sharing with their small group, "bubble," or extended family
Introduction includes all the details for making God's World in Community: Advent - Matthew's Story a success.
Resource is fully downloadable. A link to the resource will be sent to the e-mail address on the order once the order process is complete.