By Shirley Carlson, La Crescenta Presbyterian Church, California
Want to put a different spin on New Year's resolutions this year? Instead of letting life just happen, be intentional. Decide what you want your family 's purpose to be. What is your family passionate about? What do you hope to accomplish as a family? What is God's plan for your family?
Plan family meetings to discuss and to dream, to pray for guidance, and to begin to put together a family vision. Be sure to include all of your children, ages 3 and older. Some thoughts to help you determine God's plan for your family:
- List what each family member is passionate about. Then define your family's passion and what can be done to fulfill this passion.
- What are your hopes for future accomplishments - individually and as a family?
- What defines your family to the rest of the world - currently and in the future?
- What behaviors could be different as a result of setting a family vision?
- What skills does each family member have that might be fine-tuned?
- Set both short- and long-term goals.
Spending time as a family to create a vision could be life-changing. Use these websites for helpful resouorces:
Would you like to receive bi-monthly Parenting Corner articles? Then you'll want to subscribe to GenOn's High Vision enewsletter.